08 Feb 8 Easy Ways to Save Money Around the House.
The start of each year is a good time to take a look at your daily spending and start budgeting! One of the easiest ways to start saving a bit here and there is to take a look at your own home!
Consider these ideas that can help save money around the house.
- Seal drafts to save energy. Air leaks account for much of the heat loss from an older home. Sealing these drafts can hundreds of dollars per year.
- Lower the heat. Turning down the heat a degree or two or installing a programmable thermostat can save up to 2% on your heating bill for every degree in reduced heat!
- Go fluorescent. Change incandescent bulbs to compact fluorescent, which use less energy to operate.
- Run full loads. Avoid running half loads of laundry and dishes to save water and energy.
- A splash of cold. Use cold water in your laundry.
- Read the news online. Cancel home delivery of newspapers or magazines that pile up unread.
- Get handy. Tackle household projects on your own, if you can, instead of hiring someone for painting, garden work or tending the lawn.
- Go green when you clean. Learn how to make homemade solutions of vinegar, baking soda and dish soap.